Wednesday, May 01, 2019

It is prom time for my granddaughter. When I reflect on this, it's hard for me to believe that nearly 17 years have flown by since she first arrived on this planet. I remember her playing doctor with the family dog. She'd get Bailey into the bedroom and close the door so he couldn't get out. He was very patient with her as she checked his blood pressure and listened to his heart. I remember her playing with her friends in the neighborhood building friendships. I remember watching her first dance recital, not knowing the wonderful dancer she would develop into. I remember the day my daughter told me that she had noticed Emma seemed to sort of space out at times. She was only five years old. I then started paying attention and noticed what my daughter had pointed out. Jennifer took her into the doctor and they were referred to a clinic in the cities. Jennifer and Josh took Emma there, not fully understanding or knowing they were heading to the Minnesota Epilepsy Clinic. Emma was diagnosed with having mild seizures and put on medication. None of us had a clue that Epilepsy could come out from nowhere. We attended seminars about Epilepsy and read books only to learn that almost anyone can develop Epilepsy. Eventually Emma's seizures were diminished because of the medication. She continued the checkups at the clinic where she was monitored for hours being hooked up to machines. Eventually the seizures stopped and she was taken off the medication. 

Emma continued to dance and she seemed to find something that she was very good at. I had the wonderful chance to watch her dance at recitals and competitions. Throughout all of that, I watched her develop confidence, build teamwork skills and express herself in a way through her dance that brought tears to my eyes. I also watched her excel in her school work and become more involved in activities at school. She is a very good student and takes great pride in all she does. She has found her own way to manage her time to fit everything into her busy schedule. This included joining the cheer leading team and this past year to represent Big Lake as a Big Lake Ambassador. It has been so fun to watch this young women bloom into someone I am proud to know.

So I want her to live this quote, or maybe I should say to continue to live this quote. She already has begun. She has shown all that know her that she truly has a vision for her life and she believes in herself. I hope she continues to set her goals, reach for the stars and aim for whatever it is that makes her happy. I hope that she will continue to believe in herself and stay true to whom she is. I want her to know that I will always support her visions, no matter what they might be. I want her to have strength to stay true to all she believes in and to have the courage to stand tall when others may try to persuade her to sway from those beliefs. I want her to know that true courage comes when you stay true to what you believe deep down in your heart. I want my granddaughter, as I believe most grandmothers do, to follow her dreams, live her visions and to soar high in all she does. 

I hope she has the time of her life this weekend at her first prom. I hope she feels like a the princess I see when I look at her. I hope that this will be a memory that she will relive many times throughout her life. That the day will be magical and she will feel as special as I know she is. I hope she continues to have visions of what she wants her life to be and that she will work hard to fulfill those visions. 

No comments:

Life List

  • To go on a cruise with Mark someday
  • To visit Hawaii someday
  • To work harder on maintaining the relationships I have
  • To start writing, journaling, poetry and children's books
  • To start living a more healthy life style