Sunday, May 19, 2019


I chose this quote to write about today because I think we all often say things that sometimes would of been better to have kept to ourselves. Once we speak the thoughts we may have or say the things we may feel, we can never take them back. Words can be very hurtful, sometimes even more hurtful than a slap or a punch. A slap or a punch may be forgotten once the sting of the slap or the pain of the punch are gone. A person might become a little more careful when approaching someone who slapped or punch them, but eventually they will forget about how it felt. On the other hand, the words they heard will stay with them. Over time the words can really bring a person down. They may start believing those words. They may think of the words spoken every time they are near the person who said so cruelly spoke those words to them. Even when you apologize for your words, they may still linger on their mind and in their heart.

When you become frustrated with someone, whether they are a friend, family member or stranger, it would be better to keep what you might be thinking to yourself. There is an old saying, "If you can't say anything nice, than say nothing at all." That is something I think we all could work on doing more often. We are living in a time where we are all so busy, always thinking about all we have to do, that I don't think we really take time to think about the impact that our words may have on others. If we all would concentrate on being more positive to everyone we encounter each day, I think we could really make a big difference in the happiness of others and ultimately our own happiness. If we are making negative remarks or putting others down, then we are also bringing ourselves down. By saying rude things to others, we are setting ourselves up to be negative and that will definitely affect how we feel about ourselves.

I am going to ask everyone to accept the following challenge. When you catch yourself about to make a negative comment to someone, stop and walk away or better yet, stop and say something positive to that person.This will take a very conscious effort on your part. You may have to start out by really focusing on this challenge for little bits of time throughout your day. This applies to those comments you might make directly to a person, those comments you might make about a person to someone else, or just those comments you might make just in general to anyone around. Please try this for one week staring with just one day at a time. I can guarantee you that you will make a difference in the lives or others, but most importantly, you will improve your own life immensely. I too am taking this challenge, for I know there are times that I could be more positive to those around me and make a difference in their lives.

This past week working in a long-term subbing job I took, I encountered such a time. I had a student that was really pushing me to the limit. This student was bothering other students, saying things to them that was upsetting them. This student seemed unable to follow my simplest direction and I noticed other teachers in the hall telling him to behave. I was constantly correcting him, telling him to sit down, asking him to behave. Then I stopped and thought about his situation. He was completing his last week at our school and on the weekend would be leaving his home here and moving to Africa. I had him stay back when everyone left for recess. I talked a little bit about his moving and he shared that he was a little scared of moving and worried about not being there for the end of the year auction to cash in his bonus bucks. I made a deal with him to cash in his bonus bucks early and also asked if it would be alright if I brought in some cookies for him to share with his classmates on his last day. His face lit up. I told him I would bring the cookies in and just place them on a predetermined spot on the back shelf and then he could share them with his classmates.  On Friday he shared his cookies and his classmates celebrated him and wished him well and told him they would miss him. There were some cookies left and this boy came to me and asked me if I could save them and give them to the boys who were absent that day. That really touched me, here he was facing a huge change in his life, and he was thinking about the boys who were not there to have a cookie that day.

So let's all try little acts of kindness in memory of all those that are facing some of the most terrifying moments in their lives. If we can start to build up others, maybe be the only kind word they may hear, help them to feel better about themselves, then it will be so worth it. Please try to speak only kind words to everyone you may encounter. That includes those you may say something about even if you think they are not in earshot. By speaking kinder, you will not only be helping others to feel better, but you will begin to feel better yourself. You will also be setting an example for your children, as your children's first teacher is you. You will also be setting an example for those you work with or friends you may hang out with. Please try my challenge for one week by speaking only kind words to everyone you encounter and together we can make a difference, no matter how small it may be. 

No comments:

Life List

  • To go on a cruise with Mark someday
  • To visit Hawaii someday
  • To work harder on maintaining the relationships I have
  • To start writing, journaling, poetry and children's books
  • To start living a more healthy life style