Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Live Each Moment

Life can be short. We never know what is waiting for us around the next corner or over the next hill. Life should be lived to the fullest and along with that, we should always take time to appreciate those around us. Family and friends are two of the most valueable gifts we are given by God. As you all know, Minneapolis experienced a major tragedy a month ago with the collapse of the 35W bridge over the Mississippi. On Sunday, Mark and I drove down to the U of M, parked and walked over to the recently reopened 10th street bridge.

We stood and looked at massive concrete slabs, concrete pillars, and large steel frames that had been left in a heap of junk. The steel looked like those cheap clothes hangers you get from the drycleaner that can be twisted with ease by a 5 year old. One of the concrete pillars had been moved by the impact and the steel beams had dug a groove into the pillar. They had begun to remove some of the concrete, but you could still see evidence of where the cars had been by the bright pink spray paint. On the pieces remaining, you could still see the construction barrels that had closed off lanes and the sheets of plastic that covered the work the workers had been working on that day. You could even see the port-a-potty that sat between the two sections that was there for the workers. The pictures on the news do not compare with what you see when you stand before it. I am still amazed and thankful that the death count wasn't higher. It was eerie seeing the signs laying in the rubble and the twisted steel still in the river.

So, I want to share these pictures with you and ask you to never take a moment for granted. To remember to tell you spouse, children, parents, sibling, friends, coworkers or whoever how important they are to you, and that you love them everyday. That they all bring something special into your life and that you appreciate them all. Remember to take a little time to enjoy a sunset, or the pitter patter of rain, to take in the quiet moments when you can and to cherish the noise also. I ask you to remember that everything happens for a purpose.

If you happen to be reading this, that means you are special to me, either a friend or family. I want to let you know that you are important to me. My life is better because I have you in it.

Please remember those involved in this tragedy in your prayers.






















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Monica!!!! I have tears... thanks so much for this post. You mean the world to me.

Anonymous said...

What a tragedy! I am a friend of Shannon's and she pointed me in the direction of your blog.

Jodi

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! The pictures took my breath away. This was a tragedy! Your post was amazing. Thank you for sharing. I too am a friend of Shannon's.

((((((HUGS)))))))

Shannon Bromenschenkel said...

Monica - It's time for you to blog again!

Life List

  • To go on a cruise with Mark someday
  • To visit Hawaii someday
  • To work harder on maintaining the relationships I have
  • To start writing, journaling, poetry and children's books
  • To start living a more healthy life style