Monday, January 02, 2012

Welcoming in 2012

     Another new year has begun. I would like to reflect over the past year. It was a good year. My grandchildren celebrated growing another year older, and I was able to make birthday cakes for them to enjoy. I also grew a year older, but it really wasn't as big of a deal as the grandchildren's birthdays. For me, it's just another year, although I'm very grateful to be able to have that extra year added onto my life. I hope I can do good by the gift of starting another year by eating healthier and starting and maintaining an exercise routine. It is very important to me to do those two things, as I would like to have many more years to be able to make cakes for my grandchildren's birthdays.
     This past year did have it's sad moments. At my school, STRIDE Academy, we had several children experience illness. One little girl was completely paralyzed and in the hospital for over three months with Guillian Barre Syndrome. I am happy to announce that she returned to school in June, and as of this date, it would be hard for anyone to detect that she was ever hospitalized. On a sad note, the week she returned, our school lost another young girl. She had an immune disorder that is very rare and at the stage they detected it, was incurable. I am proud to be associated with a school that gave the family so much support from staff and families. It was a very sad funeral to attend, but wonderful to see our school choir perform 'The Climb, and to see so many staff members, parents and students attend. At the end of the school year we learned of another young student battling kidney cancer. He had surgery and continues to have chemo and is doing alright. I have him in my literature class, and he recently wrote that his high in life was simply life itself. Very simply stated, but so true. I also lost an aunt this past year due to a car accident. My Aunt Edna was a strong lady in so many ways. She worked up until the age of 87 and remained active since then volunteering. She walked her dog at least two times a day around the streets of Monticello. She was always so upbeat, even when she had obstacles in front of her. We also lost a father of two of our young students this fall. It was very comforting to have the mother bring the boys to school the day after the accident and tell our principal that the school was the best place for them that day as it gave them both the structure and support that was important for them. Lastly, a young three year old was hit by a stray bullet in North Minneapolis the day after Christmas. He was the nephew of a lady I worked with when I taught at New Visions School in Minneapolis. The mother of the young boy stated that she didn't let her children play outside, because it wasn't safe, but thought that her home was a safe place. It is so sad that the innocent victim was a young child. We will never know what great things he could of accomplished on this earth.
     I hope that we all can learn from these events. I hope that we can begin to live each day as if it were our first and also as if it were our last. Live as if each day is a new beginning. In doing so we do not need to carry baggage from our past with us. We can do whatever we have to to set that baggage free. That may mean having to forgive someone, making amends, or picking up the pieces in some relationship with others. In doing so we will be able to live as if it is the first day of our lives every day for we will wake up refreshed and light hearted. Live each day as if it is your last chance to make your mark on this earth. Try to smile more often, even at the grumpy people. Be sure to tell those important to you that you love them each day. Offer a kind gesture to someone every day, and it does not have to be someone you know. Try to brighten the world around you, only you can change the world around you, so do it!
     I wish everyone the best of 2012. Please check back for I will be posting on a regular basis. Look for pictures of the future birthday cakes I will be making, and remember to make 2012 a great year for your self, you deserve it.

Wishing all my family and friends a Happy New Year!
 
 

1 comment:

Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads said...

So glad you are blogging!! :)

Life List

  • To go on a cruise with Mark someday
  • To visit Hawaii someday
  • To work harder on maintaining the relationships I have
  • To start writing, journaling, poetry and children's books
  • To start living a more healthy life style